Hot toddies are traditionally made with whiskey, rum or brandy. This nonalcoholic recipe combines calming lavender with soothing honey and lemon. For extra health protection, add a crushed raw garlic clove.
• 2 cup water
• Fresh juice of 1 lemon
• 2 tablespoons lavender buds (i.e. Lavender in Lavender Hill Cooking Herb)
• 1 teaspoon ginger
• 1 to 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar, to taste
• 2 tea green bags (decaf or regular) OR 2 tablespoons loose green tea
• 1 to 2 crushed raw garlic cloves, optional
1. Combine water, lemon juice, lavender, ginger, sweetener and tea bags in a saucepan. Bring to boil. Remove from heat and steep for at least 5 minutes.
2. Place optional crushed raw garlic clove at the bottom of each teacup or mug.
3. Strain warm lavender-lemon brew and pour into teacup or mug.
Fresh tips: Crush or mince garlic cloves to release the healing properties of garlic, including the disease-fighting compound allicin. Rub lemon juice on hands and utensils to remove garlic odor.
Photo by Cogipix